You receive our World Recruitment Agent list, contacts for over 115 cruise companies, full job descriptions to maximise your knowledge of what you need to know to apply, and our resume templates.
Things to Know
The following is essential information for Cruise Staff hopefuls:
- Who is Zest Recruitment?
Based in Queensland, Australia, Zest Recruitment provides support to cruise-ship companies throughout the world.
Recruit cruise-line candidates from all over Australia, New Zealand, China, Singapore, Malaysia and Fiji.
Assist international candidates with networks of international cruise line agents and direct employment..
- Tell me more about the Cruise Line industry
Cruising is one of the fastest growing modes of tourism in the world, with hundreds of ships from many different worldwide countries carrying passengers to extensive exotic and fascinating destinations.
With over 200 different jobs in more than 20 departments, there are many opportunities for professionals like you!
There are many diverse holiday packages that cruise companies offer ranging from the destination and length of the cruise, to the types of shipboard activities and entertainment offered and the physical design and facilities of the ship itself. Cruises are even designed with various age groups in mind and cater specifically for families, mature aged groups or singles!
Currently there are over 1.2 million shipboard employees worldwide. With approximately 300 ships already sailing the high seas and 60 new ships reportedly under construction over the next 2-3 years, there are many employment opportunities for people with a variety of skills and talents, and of all ages and backgrounds.
Over the next 5 years, more than 50 new cruise ships will be launched, creating over 100,000 additional jobs and one of these could be yours!!
Some of the newer ships that have been constructed are truly first-class floating hotels, with amazing features, activities and entertainment for guests to enjoy including shopping centres, 24 hour speciality restaurants, extensive movie theatres, tennis courts and much more.
So, whether you're a university student seeking a break between study, a professional seeking a career experience like no other, or simply an enthusiastic, young individual wanting to explore life and career, the Cruise Line industry will certainly help you to realise your ambitions.
- What do I need to know about the cruise industry to get a job?
- The major employers and players in the industry
- How do I apply to the cruise companies, recruitment agents and concessionaires?
- What new ships and opportunities are available?
- What positions are available?
- Are there any pre-requisites?
- Do I have to be Australian citizen to get a job?
- How to structure a winning application
- What is the recruitment process?
- What is shipboard life really like?
- Are there on going career opportunities available?
- How much money can I earn?
- What costs are involved?
- Where do I start?
There are a few ways of gaining employment on a cruise ship. You have already selected one of the most effective ways, through utilising an official agent or concessionaire and applying on line to join our active database.
Secondly and most importantly is that you have as much information as possible to prepare you for your adventure of a lifetime! This includes practical information regarding the cruise industry, full detailed job descriptions, information the recruitment process, details on what to expect from shipboard life and of course how to best position yourself and your application to secure a job on the high seas. All this information and a lot more is available in our Crew Handbook.
Many other internet sites which offer registration on their database for a fee, but do not have official contracts with the cruise liners and hence your application just gets posted on a database with millions of others with no follow-up. They even guarantee a refund on monies if you have proof you have 3 rejection letters from a cruise company- but the reality is the major players do not respond to applications and will refer candidates straight to their agents or procurement allies for pre-screening.
- How do I apply with Zest Recruitment?
To register your interest to work onboard an exciting cruise line complete the on-line application form and attach your resume for the position you wish to be considered for. There are no costs or charges to apply for any position at any time! If you really want to improve your chances of gaining employment and presenting that winning resume- don't forget to check out our Crew Handbook!
All candidates will be notified by email to acknowledge the receipt of their application. Interview times vary according to need and visiting Cruise Line representatives who will make final selections and job offers.
- What Support can I expect from Zest Recruitment?
Stage One: Getting a Job
Our role at Zest Recruitment is to:
- Find quality candidates to work on board cruise ships, both locally and internationally
- Provide as much information as possible to potential new crew members regarding a career at sea
- Assist potential new crew members to better position themselves to get a job on board a cruise ship
- Provide an up to date service on all the news, events, new ships, changing itineraries and opportunities in the cruise line industry- through our Crew Newsletter
- Assist candidates in preparing for interviews through presenting a winning application
- Prepare short listed candidates for final selection interviews, with interviews tips and techniques and familiarity with shipboard language
Stage Two: Pre- employment job offer
Once you have been offered an official job on board with one of our contracted companies, Zest Recruitment then acts as your personal crew consultants to assist you with all your pre- employment requirements. We help with everything right down to the final bon voyage phone call before you leave for the airport to embark on your adventure of a lifetime!
All Crew are provided with any services required as determined by their individual circumstance to assist them in their contract set up or as returning crew. This can include:
- Passport verification
- Medical clearance
- Visa acquisition
- Airline ticket co-ordination and accommodation on arrival confirmation
- Background checks/ Police clearance
- Processing company forms and assessments if required
- Confirmation with client start date contract and details
- Tell me about the Cruise Ships
Princess Cruise Lines operates 17 ships - Famous for the 'Love Boat' they have over 120 itineraries, visiting 330 destinations. Princess have recently announced 2 new ships due for release in 2013 and 2014.
Carnival currently operates 22 ships sailing ranging from 3 to 17 days in length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, the Panama Canal and the Canadian Maritimes from a variety of North American departure points.
We can also refer candidates to P&O Australia and NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines)
Cruise ships are like exclusive luxurious hotels or resorts. The only difference is these resorts are on the water and can move!
Each ship carries approx 2,500 passengers and a diverse crew of approx 1000 from all around the world.
- How long are the contracts?
All positions are contract-based and will generally be 6- 8 months in length depending on the position applied for. Seasonal contracts are generally 3 months in length and are only available for some positions.
Subject to your performance, ongoing contract opportunities exist.
- What skills/experience does a Cruise Line require?
You must be at least 21 years of age with a minimum of 2 years experience within the position you are applying for.
Enjoy a high-volume, fast-paced, guest service environment and be able to read, write and speak good conversational English.
- What hours would I work?
Hours vary from position to position, however, hours are based on 70-hr/7-day work week.
Crew-members work every day for the entire length of their contract.
Crew-members work split shifts and have time off rather than days off.
- How much do I get paid?
Pay details vary significantly from position to position - as a basic starting point, you could expect to earn a minimum of USD$1,000 per calendar month. Specific pay rates will be discussed with those candidates short-listed for interview.
Crew Members are paid twice a month in US dollars.
There is no charge to crew-members for accommodation or meals during your contract.
- Will I get training on board?
Yes. All Cruises lines offer full on the job training with a strong focus on safety training. However you must already have experience in the position you are applying for.
Carnival conducts 4-week training programs, known as Carnival College, which include both classroom and practical training. A score of 80% is required to successfully complete this training. Don't worry though; there is a full-time instructor to assist you.
- What other benefits are there?
Full medical coverage during the length of your contract.
The opportunity to see the most exclusive and beautiful destinations in the world and get paid for it!
- Do I live on-board the ship?
Yes, you are allocated a share cabin (generally with 1-3 other people - same gender).
Crew cabins are equipped with a TV/VCR, small drinks refrigerator and bathroom.
Cruises run constantly- 365 days a year, so there is limited time in Port 'between cruises'.
- Can my partner and I travel and work together?
Generally, no. Candidates are assessed individually based on their skills and experience. If both of you are successful we can put a request in for you to be assigned to the same ship. But, there are no guarantees.
- What is there to do when I do have some time off?
Most positions have access to all guest areas which allows you to utilise extensive gym and pool facilities in addition to crew-only areas.
- Do I need to wear a uniform?
Your uniform is designed and issued by the cruise line for your particular role. Uniforms are cleaned and maintained for crew-members. Most cruise line companies have very strict guidelines regarding uniforms, so hair must be of a natural colour, piercings must be removed, other than one in each ear for females and tattoo's must not be visible whilst in uniform.
Laundry facilities are available for washing personal items. Crew-members are permitted to wear tasteful personal clothing while off-duty.
- If successful, when will I start?
Anytime between now and 6 months time (subject to position availability and own personal availability).
- What will happen once I get offered a position?
Zest Recruitment will provide full support and all information required to prepare for your departure.
- Do I purchase my own flight ticket?
Depending on which position you have been approved for and also which cruise line company hires you, you may be required to finance your initial ONE-WAY ticket to either L.A or Florida. However, some companies pay for all flights.
Once you have successfully completed your first contract, the cruise line will fly all crew-members back to Australia (This can vary per position and cruise line company)
All flight tickets thereafter are supplied by the cruise line (This can vary per position).
- What else do I need to arrange prior to my departure?
In consultation with the cruise line, Zest Recruitment will assist you in the co-ordination of the following:
- Police check
- Pre-employment medical (All cruise liners are a drug-free workplace with random tests conducted on-board)
- C1/D Visa- Valid 5 years
- Seaman's Book
- Flight ticket and confirmation of your accommodation on arrival
- What costs will I have if I am offered a position?
If a job is offered, you will be responsible for the costs associated in obtaining:
- Police check (Approx $AUD40-)
- C1/D Visa ($AUD147-)
- In some cases your one-way flight ticket ($AUD1200- 1500-)
- Pre-employment Medical ($AUD500- 550)
- Seaman's Book (Cost varies depending on which State you are in)
- You may also be required to purchase approved work shoes once on board
- Please note, all tools/equipment required for your role are supplied by the cruise line.